Darling Harbour Fiesta
Photo © Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority
Click on any image to zoom in
|Country and Region||Australia — New South Wales|
|Type of Festival||Dance|
|Location of Festival||Sydney, New South Wales, Australia|
|Festival Contact Information|
Get ready to feel the rhythm and discover the passion of Australia’s largest Latin American festival when Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority presents FIESTA this October long weekend! With red-hot live performances, Fiesta stands out as the most vibrant and exciting FREE cultural event of the year with high-energy Latin American bands, sexy salsa and tango experts, captivating Brazilian Carnivale girls, sultry flamenco dancers, traditional cultural performances, mesmerizing capoeira masters and much more!
For three sensational days and nights, Fiesta will feature 70 of the best Latin bands and dance groups, with more than 800 performers, on three outdoor stages throughout Darling Harbour. Adding spice to Fiesta will be a delicious range of Latin American and Spanish food stalls at Tumbalong Park offering a variety of culinary treats such as traditional paella, tacos and enchiladas. Darling Harbour will abound in the spirit of Carnivale so don’t miss what will be the salsa party of the year!
|Festival Dates||October 12 - 13, 2013|
- Saturday, October 6
- 12:30pm – FREE dance classes
Head to Harbourside at 12.30pm where Luda Kroiter of Dancing with the Stars fame will hold a Zumba class to get your feet moving and your hips shaking. A series of Latin dance and salsa classes will follow throughout the day getting you ready to burn up one of Fiesta’s three outdoor dance floors quicker than you can say ‘Olé!’
- 2:30pm – Francisca Valenzuela (Chile)
The beautiful Chilean songstress is described in her native country as the “princess of rock” and “revelation of pop”, slipping effortlessly between the two styles with sublime vocals, powerful lyrics and killer piano skills that have made her one of the hottest young talents in Latin America today.
- 4:25pm – Brazilian Fantasy Show
With dazzling costumes and sultry moves these glamorous girls will take you on an exciting journey to the world of Latin American dance with a colourful and lively performance that offers an irresistible feast for the ears and eyes!
- 6:30pm – Giant Puppet and Samba Parade – DO NOT MISS!
Feel the spirit of Rio Carnivale by taking part in the fun, noise and excitement of this colourful and lively street parade as it snakes its way around Darling Harbour. Featuring giant puppets, samba dancers, capoeira performers, batucada drummers and costumed characters it promises to be one of the highlight activities of the festival weekend.
- 7:00pm – Malalma (Colombia)
This high-energy Colombian ensemble will get the Saturday night party started, taking you on a wild ride with their distinctive musical style known as Latin Trip; a pulsating fusion of funk, salsa, folk, rap and electronica.
- 8:45pm – Novalima (Peru)
With a pioneering blend of soulful Afro-Peruvian rhythms and melodies, cutting edge grooves, dub reggae, chilled-out electronica and funky Latin beats, Novalima will close the night with an irresistible mash up of old school traditions and modern trends that will have everyone reporting to the dance floor.
- 12:30pm – FREE dance classes
- Sunday, October 7
- 1:10pm – Mi Tierra
This 13-piece Latin dance band delivers an upbeat sound characterised by an incredible percussion section, layered with breathtaking vocals, tight punching horns and an infectious rhythm that is definitely gonna get ya.
- 2:20pm & 3.00pm – Bill Summers and Jazalsa (US)
Don’t miss this rare opportunity to see the legendary multiple Grammy Award-winning percussionist who will be coming to the party with his latest project, Jazalsa, a vivacious mix of salsa, Latin and Afro-jazz with a dash of funk and a whole lotta drum!
- 2:50pm – Capoeira Topazio
Prepare to be amazed by one of Australia’s preeminent capoeira troupes with their high-speed, gravity-defying acrobatics of Brazilian martial art disguised in dance.
- 3:50pm – Son Veneno
Their pulsating fusion of Latin, funk, reggae, jazz and rock has seen them described as a ‘groundbreaking technicolour cross between Buena Vista Social Club, Gorillaz and Eminem’. However you describe them, this internationally-acclaimed, Sydney-based band is sure to leave you with a smile on your face.
- 5:10pm – Joe Bataan (US)
With a revolutionary career going back to the 50s, the acclaimed creator of Latin R&B; is revered in the music industry, his soulful voice and pioneering fusion of Latin with rhythm and blues earning him the moniker ‘King of Latin Soul’.
- 1:10pm – Mi Tierra
Additional programming 2012:
- The weekend festival will also feature performances from the hottest Latin musicians and dancers in Australia including El Orqueston, DJ Dwight ‘Chocolate’ Escobar, Oscar Jiminez and Reyes de la Onda, Waldo Fabian, Salsa Kingz, Latin Mystique, Bolivia Mia, Anna Salleh, Los Gauchos, Ole Ola and many more. Adding spice to Fiesta will be a delicious range of Latin American and Spanish food stalls offering traditional paella, churros, tacos, enchiladas and other culinary treats. And you can walk off your spicy feast with a stroll along the Urban Stream where Latin American art and craft stalls offer an array of jewellery, clothing, fabrics and artworks of the region.
KadmusArts on Facebook:
- Like KadmusArts on Facebook — we are your gateway to interact with the global community of festival fans, artist and organizers. Please share your comments and experiences in regard to this festival at http://www.facebook.com/pages/KadmusArts/17962154811