Check Us Out Dance Festival
|Country and Region||United States — New York|
|Type of Festival||Dance|
|Location of Festival||New York, New York, USA|
|Festival Contact Information|
Check It Dance
ChEckiT!Dance is an all female modern dance company focusing on gender issues, female identity, objectification and the exploration of traditional gender roles. We seek to create a crack in the stereotypical infrastructure of female standards and archetypes. In doing this, we wish to bring awareness and gender equality while walking the line of dance, dance theater and performance art. Founded in 2010 by Allison Brzezinski and Christina D’Arrigo, ChEckiT!Dance has continued to push boundaries incorporating original text, music and props within our work. We have presented pieces throughout Manhattan and New Jersey in notable venues such as Dixon Place, STEPS, The Works Studio, Central Park, the Ailey Studios, FigmentNYC, The Kraft Center, Dance New Amsterdam, The Gershwin Hotel and more. We also produce the Annual ChEck Us OuT Dance Festival: A Celebration of Female Choreographers in Central Park, each July.
The ChEck Us OuT Dance Festival is both a family and eco friendly event. ChEckiT!Dance welcomes dance enthusiasts of all ages to unroll a blanket at Summit Rock, in Central Park, sit back, have a snack and enjoy the show! Patrons are welcome to bring a picnic and enjoy dessert compliments of the ChEck Us OuT Dance Festival. Similarly, ChEckiT!Dance has committed to an eco-friendly evening of art and, as such, will not be printing traditional programs. Instead, eprograms will be available for patrons via smartphone. Don’t miss this exciting evening of new choreography in Central Park.
|Festival Dates||July 13, 2013|
- The evening will include works from more than 10 female choreographers, at various stages in their careers, from across the United States and abroad. Featured artists include:
- Stacy A. Donovan/ Improbable Stage Company
- Brittany Grimm/ Brittany Grimm Dance
- Quincie Hydock
- Melissa Jackson/ Innovate Dance Company
- Lauren Lasorda
- Lieneke Mous/ Lieneke Mous & Co.
- Laura Neese/ Kitchen Sink Collective
- Joya Powell/ Movement of the People Dance Company
- Erin Pride/ EDP Dance Project
- Ellenore Scott/ ELSCO
- Jessica Sector
- Olivia Wingerath/ Long and Short of It Movement Theatre
- Allison Brzezinski/ChEckiT!Dance
- Ashley Sleeth - work to be shown via video in e-program only
- Summit Rock in Central Park
83rd Street and Central Park West
- Admission is free
- Deadline is May 10, 2013
- ChEckiT!Dance is now accepting applications from female choreographers who would like to present their work in the Third Annual ChEck Us OuT Dance Festival: A Celebration of Female Choreographers, an eco-friendly evening of dance celebrating female choreographers at Summit Rock, in Central Park. We welcome choreographers to submit pieces from any genre of dance that can be adapted to an outdoor space. The 2012 ChEck Us OuT Dance Festival was a carefully curated event that featured the innovative work of ten female choreographers from across the country. The festival seeks to showcase the talents of strong female choreographers in a welcoming environment.
- For more information please visit http://www.checkitdance.com. To download the 2013 ChEck Us OuT Dance Festival application, please click on