International Youth Festival of Ancient Drama, Ancient Messene (Φεστιβάλ Αρχαίας Μεσσήνης)
Photos courtesy of Ancient Messene
Click on any image to zoom in
|Country and Region||Greece — Peloponnese, Western Greece and the Ionian Islands|
|Type of Festival||Comedy, Drama|
|Location of Festival||Messene, Peloponnese, Western Greece and the Ionian Islands, Greece|
|Festival Contact Information|
The International Youth Festival of Ancient Drama takes place primarily at the “Odeon” in Ancient Messene, Greece. The festival focuses on the presentation of works of ancient Greek or Latin drama (tragedy or comedy) by students, it does not have a competitive nature and its purpose is the essential - experiential contact of young people with ancient drama and cultural heritage.
Participation in the festival is reserved exclusively for theater groups of Secondary schools, colleges and universities of Greece and other countries. The members of theater groups from Greece and other countries should be exclusively students or young students. The number of participating pupils or students should not exceed 20 people. Theater groups will be accompanied by one (1) to a maximum of two (2) teachers or attendants.
|Festival Dates||March 31 - April 10, 2014|
- Saturday, April 20, 2013 — Opening Ceremony
- 10:00am — The Suppliants, Aeschylus — 1st Gymnasium of Argos
- Sunday, April 21, 2013
- 10:00am — The Oresteia, Aeschylus — Night School (Lyceum) of Kallithea
- 11:30am — BACCHANALIA (an adaptation of Euripides` Bacchae), — Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, MA Theatre Lab Program, London
- Monday, April 22, 2013
- 10:00am — The Clouds, Aristophanes — Lyceum of Litochoro
- 11:30am — The Frogs, Aristophanes — Lyceum of Molaon
- Tuesday, April 23, 2013
- 10:00am — The Acharnians, Aristophanes — 7st Gymnasium & 1st, 2nd and 4th Lyceum of Kerkyra
- 11:30am — The Clouds, Aristophanes — Lyceum of Episkopis
- Wednesday, April 24, 2013
- 10:00am — The Ecclesiazusae, Aristophanes — Aristotelion College of Thessaloniki
- 11:30am — The Suppliants, Aeschylus — Lyceum of Messini
- Thursday, April 25, 2013
- 10:00am — Plutus, Aristophanes — 1st Lyceum of Amaliada
- Friday, April 26, 2013
- 10:00am ¸— The Oresteia, Aeschylus — Aghia Paraskevi’s Gymnasium & Lyceum for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- 11:30am — Closing ceremony
- Festival blog
- Facebook (Greek)
- A synopsis from 2nd International Ancient Drama Festival at Ancient Messene (2013)
- Ancient Messene_International Festival 2013 with subs
- Festival Ancient Messini 2012
KadmusArts on Facebook:
- Like KadmusArts on Facebook — we are your gateway to interact with the global community of festival fans, artist and organizers. Please share your comments and experiences in regard to this festival at http://www.facebook.com/pages/KadmusArts/17962154811
- Theater groups interested in participating should indicate their interest by November 22, 2013. To this end they should:
- fill in and submit the attached three forms (“Application Form”, “Background information on the project” and “Certification”)
- send the text of the play to be presented, whether it be the original or an adaptation
- send a photograph of the theater group and other contributing members.
- All the above should be sent by post and e-mail as follows:
A) by post to the following address:
- Office of Public Entity “Ancient Messene”
Municipality of Messene
Mayor Paul Ptohou Street
- B) by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office of Public Entity “Ancient Messene”
- Each theater group that has decided to participate in this festival should send audiovisual material (CD or DVD) of this theatrical production (videos from rehearsals or performances, as well as other material of this specific theatrical performance with its players and other contributing members) by January 24, 2014 (postmark) to the above address, to the organizers so that they are able to select the play. The material will not be returned.
- The running time of the project should be from 50 min. to 70 min. (maximum).
- The type of the project must be stated: a) original, b) adaptation.
- Starting time of performances: 09:30 am and 11:30 am. (There will be two performances every day).
- At the venue there will be a simple microphone and sound system with a CD Player.
- The music of the performance should be exclusively recorded on audio CD. You may not use “live” music played by a band as it is not allowed in or around the monument.
- Any props used in the theatrical performances should be light, portable, small and easily-transferrable structures. No scenery can be set up or placed in the monument.
- Use of fireworks, smoke bombs, flares and generally flammable materials as well as the lighting of candles and torches is not permitted.
- You may not use or throw, for special directing effects, materials that are difficult to collect, such as Styrofoam, confetti, etc.
- Each theater group is responsible for their travel fare. The organizers will provide accommodation to members of theater groups (2 nights), breakfast and a lunchtime meal for the members of each theater group after their performance.
- The theater groups selected will be notified of their participation by February 7, 2014 and will have to deposit by February 21, 2014, the amount of twenty euros (20 €) for each member of the theater group to participate (student and teacher/ companion) to the Bank Eurobank account (GR 9602603170000740200212176) Ancient MESSENE.
- A Certificate of Participation will be awarded to all theater groups participating in the Festival.
Application form 2014:
- The 2014 application form, details of participation, details of the play etc. can be found on the festival’s web site at http://ancientmessenefestival.blogspot.gr. Click on the menu bar for “Festival” and download to forms.