Gujo Odori Dance Festival (郡上踊り祭り)
|Country and Region||Japan — Gifu|
|Type of Festival||Dance|
|Location of Festival||Gujo Hachiman, Gifu, Japan|
|Festival Contact Information|
GUJÔ-HACHIMAN KANKÔ KYÔKAI
|Festival Dates||July 10 - September 4, 2010|
Articles and Reviews:
- About The Gion Festival Screens. By Hiroyuki Kano (Kyoto National Museum Dictionary)
- Gujo Dancing
Summertime is Dance Time. By Kanzaki Noritake, scholar of folk tradition__
breezy*blog 郡上おどり (August 14, 2005)
- Summer is here: Part II. Summer Festivals. By Cheeko San (July 3, 2005)
How to get there:
- Nagoya is the gateway to Gujo Hachiman. Visitors traveling to Gujo Hachiman from all over Japan, including the major cities of Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka will find it easiest to take the JR shinkansen bullet train to Nagoya. From the JR station at Nagoya follow the instructions below for traveling to Gujo Hachiman by bus or train. Please note that it is not possible to use a JR Rail Pass to travel to Gujo Hachiman.
- By bus
From Nagoya - approximately 2 hours The direct highway bus from Nagoya’s Meitetsu Bus Centre is the easiest and most convenient way to reach Gujo Hachiman. Visitors traveling by bus arrive in the centre of town at Gujo Hachiman Jokamachi Plaza. Buses to Gujo Hachiman depart Nagoya twice a day—once in the morning, and once in the afternoon.
- From Gifu - approximately 1 hour via express bus (with Meitetsu rail connections from Nagoya) Take the direct bus from Gifu Bus Centre. Visitors traveling by bus arrive in the center of town at Gujo Hachiman Jokamachi Plaza. Buses depart each half hour from the Gifu Bus Centre, which is next door to the Gifu Meitetsu Train Station. There is also frequent train service from the Nagoya Meitetsu Station to Gifu via the Meitetsu Line.
- From Osaka - approximately 3 hours 30 minutes
Take the direct Kintetsu West Liner highway bus from either JR Osaka Station, OCAT (Osaka City Air Terminal), or Universal Studios Japan, Osaka to Gujo Hachiman. The bus stops just outside of town, and travelers will have to transfer to a taxi for the short trip into town.
- By train
From Nagoya - approximately 2 hours 45 minutes
Take a Takayama line train direct from the Nagoya JR Station to Mino Ota via Gifu. In Mino Ota transfer to the Nagaragawa Railway (not associated with JR) for the trip to Gujo Hachiman Station. Note: Not all JR Takayama Line trains from Nagoya to Mino Ota are direct!
Throughout the year, Gujo Odori lessons are offered at the Gujo Hachiman Hakurankan City Museum daily at 11:00 am and 1:00 pm, 2:00 pm, and 3:00 pm.