Bidasoa Folk (Bidasoafolk Festival)
|Country and Region||Spain — Basque Country|
|Type of Festival||Music|
|Location of Festival||Hendaye; Irun; and Hondarribia, Basque Country, Spain|
|Festival Contact Information|
Thanks to a co-ordinated move between the culture departments of the towns of Hendaye, Irun and Hondarribia, the Bidasoa Txingudi Crossborder Consortium is organizing the annual Bidasoafolk Festival in Txingudi Bay. Once again, for three festival days Txingudi Bay will be a place for acoustic, ethnic and contemporary music-lovers to come together. This avant-garde festival combines traditional and modern sounds and the musical and artistic quality of the programme’s performers make it unique to the area.
The Bidasoafolk Festival is for people from Gipuzkoa and the French Basque Country and any tourists who come to visit. Concerts are free and the Bidasoa Txingudi Cross-Border Consortium invites everyone to come and savour this quality, diverse and unique event in the area.
|Festival Dates||August 19 - 21, 2011|
About 11th edition:
- The Bidasoa Txingudi Crossborder Consortium is organizing the 11th Bidasoafolk Festival in Txingudi Bay. This year the festival is backed by the “2011, year of the Pyrenees” campaign and is a must for all music-lovers even from outside Txingudi Bay. What is more, this year the Bidasoafolk Festival forms part of the “2011 year of the Pyrenees” initiative which aims to promote cultural and sporting events throughout Europe. That is why this mainly cultural initiative (which will form part of the Bidasoafolk Festival) has been organized and will communicate all those events that make up the project around Europe. Over the three days of the festival, the major figures of the folk scene will be up on stage. This year Vieux Farka Toure, from Mali, will play on Friday 19th in Hondarribia, Coetus will play in Irun on the 20th and finally, to top it all, on the 21st Macka B & The Roots Ragga Band, from the United Kingdom.
- Xabier Aburruzaga (Euskadi)
- Vieux Farka Toure (Mali)
- Yacine Belahcene and Yannis Papaioannou (Argelia-Grecia)
- Olga Y Los Ministriles (Aragon)
- Coetus (original Iberian music)
- La Fanfare Des Goulamasa street-show (Languedoc-Roussillon-France)
- Txomin & Urbil Artola (Euskadi)
- Engualerta (Mexico)
- Macka B & The Roots Ragga Band (UK)
- Bad Sound System (Euskadi)