International Izmir Festival (Uluslararası Izmir Festivali)
Photo credits: See Practical information below.
Click on any image to zoom in
|Country and Region||Turkey — Izmir Province|
|Type of Festival||Dance, Drama, Music|
|Location of Festival||Izmir, Izmir Province, Turkey|
|Festival Contact Information|
The International Izmir Festival reaching an audience expressed in millions over the 26 years has been proudly providing opportunities to numerous world renowned artists to perform at unique historical venues. As a festival of high artistic standards, it has been organized in Izmir, a city located on the Aegean Coast and right in the middle of several historical places of Turkey. Izmir, known as the cradle of civilizations, motherland of Epic poet Homer and philosopher Heraclitus, is a-8000-year old city where the festival has mingled art and history. The Festival covering a wide spectrum of classical, traditional and contemporary works in music, ballet, theatre and opera including both international and national performances, is one of the cultural and intellectual corner stones of Turkey.
The festival has hosted performers such as: St. Petersburg Philharmonic Orchestra & Yuri Temirkanov, Czech Philharmonic Orchestra & Vladimir Ashkenazy, Philharmonia Orchestra & Leonard Slatkin and Esa-Pekka Salonen, Orchestra De Paris & Rafael Fruhbeck de Burgos, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra & Tolga Kashif and Gennadi Rozhdestvensky, Orchestre Del Maggio Musicale Fiorentino & Zubin Mehta, Filarmonica Arturo Toscanini & Lorin Maazel, Filarmonica della Scala & Myung-Whun Chung, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra & Daniele Gatti, Berliner Philharmoniker with Sir Simon Rattle, Wiener Philharmoniker with Herbert Bloomstedt, Baryshnikov & “White Oak Dance Project”, Béjart Ballet Lausanne, Martha Graham Dance Company, The Royal Ballet of Flanders, Netherlands Dance Theatre, Maurice Bejart Tokyo Ballet, Paul Taylor Dance Company and Dutch National Ballet.
|Festival Dates||May 2 - July 20. 2013|
- The International Izmir Festival Celebrates 25 years, by Ozgur Tore (Focus on Travel News, June 5, 2011)
Photo slideshow credits:
- In order of appearance
- Des Equilibres at Ayavukla Church. Photo credit: Haggay Baysel
- Grauschumacher Piano Duo at Celsus Library, Ephesus. Photo credit: Haggay Baysel
- I Fagiolini at Cesme Caravanserai. Photo credit: Haggay Baysel
- I Musici at Celsus Library, Ephesus. Photo credit: Haggay Baysel
- Photographer: Aykut Uslutekin
- Paul Taylor Dance Company (in circle), Photo credit: Aykut Uslutekin
- Receiving applause, Photo credit: Aykut Uslutekin
- Paul Taylor Dance Company at Sabanci Cultural Center. Photo credit: Haggay Baysel
- Uto Ughi at Celsus Library of Ephesus. Photo credit: Haggay Baysel
- By phone
(90) 216 556 98 00