Photo credits: See Practical information below
Click on any image to zoom in
|Country and Region||Spain — Catalonia|
|Type of Festival||Drama|
|Location of Festival||Tàrrega, Catalonia, Spain|
|Festival Contact Information|
The core of the Fira is made up of the more than 200 performances of around a sixty international companies who cover the full range of current theatrical tendencies. From street spectacles to those in closed venues, text, visual, dance, circus, cabaret, etc, for children or for adults. All the performing arts have their place in Tàrrega. Most of the shows programmed are new, first performances or previews and are held in closed venues or in the street, and are watched by a loyal audience.
Some of the leading theatrical companies, such as Comediants, El Tricicle, La Fura dels Baus, Teatre de Guerrilla, Cirque Eloize and Teatro de la Arena, have found the springboard to national and international recognition in the Fira. For young companies, the Fira represents an open forum for their creations and the platform to reach the distribution circuits.
Thanks to the policy of co-productions, Fira Tàrrega contributes to theatrical renewal be betting on those more avant-garde artistic productions, that can guarantee a high level of quality and thus will have more chances of entering into the national and international distribution circuits. In recent years, co-productions have included shows by Sèmola, Las Calígulas, Sarruga, Senza Tempo, Las Malqueridas, Líquido Teatro, Fura, Producciones Imperdibles…
La Llotja, which is supported by the Catalan government’s Catalan Institute of Cultural Industries, is the area where the professional activity is concentrated at FiraTàrrega. In addition to offering a full range of services (registration, accommodation, complimentary tickets, bar…), it is meeting point for exchanges between the registered professionals, and the nerve centre for activities (talks, debates, presentation, etc.). However, the main space at La Llotja is the Fair Pavilion, a thematic area of 1.000 m2 with over 70 exhibition stands, which allow the institutions, businesses, networks and companies to promote their work and projects.
With time, La Llotja has become an inescapable reference point for the international theatre management community. La Llotja is the meeting point where theatrical and cultural agents from all over the world buy and sell shows and a place for free and spontaneous contacts between artists, managers, producers, distributors, companies, and public and private institutions linked to the world of the performing arts.
|Festival Dates||September 5 - 8, 2013|
Founded by the group Comedians in 1981, the most important performing arts fair in southern Europe, takes place every year on the second weekend of September in Tàrrega. It draws over 800 professionals and more than 100,000 spectators who transform the town into magnificent showcase for the contemporary performing arts and an impressive popular festival.
La Fira is a great fair for the different scenic arts disciplines and covers a wide range of shows both in closed venues and in the streets. There is an extensive, plural and carefully chosen programme of Spanish and international productions, which places its emphasis on contemporary and visual forms to guarantee innovation and artistic diffusion.
The basic aims of FiraTàrrega are to promote artistic production, facilitate contracting and make the circulation of artists and companies possible for the most varied exhibition circuits. In other words, the objective is to make a decisive contribution to invigorating the performing arts industry.
Programming preview 2013:
- FiraTàrrega: The city at the epicentre of performance creation
- The FiraTàrrega programme is synonymous with Street Art. Public space and its entire range of performance possibilities takes centre stage at the event, alongside the city itself as the driving force behind artistic activity.
- Central features of the 2013 programme: new creation, multiplicity of languages and connection to the contemporary world
- The fundamental pillars underpinning the FiraTàrrega 2013 programme are breaking new ground, the richness of content and writing, and the international calling of most of the pieces presented. We strive to create an artistic project with a clear democratic vocation, connecting to the people of the city and the fundamental right we all have to access to culture and all that entails.
- Inaugural performance: Arts of movement and commitment
- The Catalan choreographer and director Toni Mira takes the helm for the festival’s inaugural performance, a piece inspired by our most immediate reality, set within the social and political context in which we now live. The central theme of the performance is change. Dance, acrobatics and video are the protagonists of Transforma-T, a large scale production co-produced by FiraTàrrega with the Zaragoza City Council for the ‘Fiestas del Pilar’ celebrations.
- Mexico at FiraTàrrega: Vital theatrical journey
- The guest country in 2013 is Mexico. A selection of six exceptional productions will come to Tàrrega, with a combination of street performances, indoor theatre and site-specific pieces. We will have the chance to experience the European premiere of nine productions from the great ambassadors of contemporary Mexican theatre: Teatro Línea de Sombra and Teatro de Ciertos Habitantes. We will also present the latest production of the Centro Nacional de Teatro for the very first time on these shores, under the direction of the controversial director Richard Viqueira.
- Street Arts: A stage with infinite artistic possibilities
- The fact that Street Arts provide infinite artistic possibilities is underlined by the work of the companies that have taken part in the Creation Support Programme. The productions that we will put on in 2013 share the common goal of breathing fresh life into the current panorama. The protagonists of the most daring space will be the companies that have participated in the Creation Laboratories: Insectotròpics, Joan Català and Macarena Recuerda Shepherd. Meanwhile, the words of Esteve Soler, the most translated contemporary Catalan playwright, will resound throughout Tàrrega in Contra la ciutat in an experience on horseback that blends Visual and Performance Arts. Ârtica is the latest production of the company Ponten Pie, a small-scale experience with great poetic undercurrents. The Italian company Ondadurto Teatro takes centre stage in the most playful part of this section with an ironic and fun approximation of popular tales. Other essential new productions that should be highlighted in the official street programme include M[u]F by the musician David Moreno, Entre tu i jo by the choreographer Mar Gómez, Abcisse by the creator Jordi Galí, and Carnaval by the Basque company Cielo Raso, which involves the participation of the dancers Igor Calonge, Daniel Abreu and Dácil González. Pere Faura, Company Chameleon, the Fundación Collado-Van Hoestenberghe and Ertza, among others, are some of the names that will complete the street programme this year.
- Site-specific theatre: commitment to other stages and creation in unconventional spaces
- The site-specific programme includes the Chilean group Teatro del Niño Proletario which returns to Tàrrega with El otro, a performance which recounts a story with a great emotional impact. They are joined by the Balearic company Res de Res, who present their work (remor), a movement piece inspired by the experience of life in a prison cell. The Andalusian company Trasto Teatro will share the experience of a wake in the powerful piece Los satisfechos. Last but not least, the Catalan Txell Roda will present her journey/experience through the work of Manuel Vázquez Montalbán taking on the character of Pepe Carvalho in Carvalho contra Vázquez Montalbán.
- Indoor theatre: International vocation
- A representative selection of the best dance and circus produced in our country will lead the indoor theatre programme, setting aside some space for the hybrid playwrights. Among the productions on offer, we find illustrious names such as the choreographer and dancer Sol Picó, with the heartfelt, convulsive and hopeful piece Memòries d’una puça, and the clown Leandre who will open the doors of his home to the public with Rien à dire. From Valencia, the group PanicMap take us on their technological adventure Harket [Protocolo]. Meanwhile, Psirc bring us the indoor version of Acrometria and the ever-surprising Zirkus Frak / Jorge Albuerne are sure to astound with the impactful Nomarramón.
- The FiraTàrrega Workshops: a door for future creators
- The FiraTàrrega 2013 programme is rounded off with the participation of students that take part in the various Street Art training programmes that we run. We will offer four workshops, two of which have been developed by the students of the Master’s Degree in Street Arts coordinated by FiraTàrrega and the University of Lleida with the directors Paul Long (‘Metro-Boulot-Dodo’) and Ignacio Achurra (‘La Patriótico Interesante’). The third workshop has been created by the Catalan artist Ernesto Collado as part of the actor training programme of the CUT (UNAM) in Mexico. Last but not least, we are pleased to announce the debut of In Forma Pauperis by the group Grupo Carro FC, an integrated workshop developed by students of the Theatre Institute as part of the centenary celebrations of this institution.
- Company spaces: Involving the sector in the FiraTàrrega project
- The FiraTàrrega 2013 programme is rounded off with the presence of other companies and the participation of the following company spaces: 23Arts, specialists in Street Art; La maleta d’espectacles, who specialize in performances for family audiences and circus lovers, and the ADGAE space, where the main management and distribution agencies in Spain present a selection of their best pieces.
Photo slideshow credits:
- In order of appearance
- Cia Industrial Teatrera, photo ©Jesús Vilamajó (FiraTarrega 2011)
- Efimer, photo ©Jesús Vilamajó (FiraTarrega 2011)
- Enfilat, photo ©Jesús Vilamajó (FiraTarrega 2011)
- Gravity, photo ©Assumpta Burgues (FiraTarrega 2011)
- Los Galindos, photo ©Jesús Vilamajó (FiraTarrega 2011)
- Festival Logo
- To register as a professional please go to the link Registration Form for Professionals and fill in the online form at
- We are at your service to help you before, during and after your stay in Tàrrega.
- Mike Ribalta
Phone +34 973 501 368
- Mike Ribalta