Clonmel Junction Festival
|Country and Region||Ireland — Tipperary|
|Type of Festival||Comedy, Dance, Drama, Music|
|Location of Festival||Tipperary, County Tipperary, Ireland|
|Festival Contact Information|
Clonmel Junction Festival
For nine days and nights the town of Clonmel is transformed by the annual Junction Festival. With a rich mix of modern theatre, dance, family spectacles, street theatre, rock, world music and trad the festival has grown to be one of the most significant cultural celebrations of the summer festival season. Complementing the performance events is a display of themed banners and flags which transform the town centre, created by school and community groups with support from local artists.
|Festival Dates||July 5 - 14, 2013|
- Opening the 2013
- Clonmel Junction Festival on Friday, July 5th will be the European premiere of Madison’s Descent, a choral suite for chamber orchestra, solo voice, piano and saxophone composed by Micheál Ó Súilleabháin. The performance of Madison’s Descent, which will take place in St Mary’s Church in Irishtown, will be conducted by Fergus Shiel and recorded by Lyric Fm for airing in the Autumn. The Clonmel Festival choristers will join Mícheál Ó Súilleabháin, Soprano Claudia Boyle, a 14 piece chamber orchestra and the soloists to perform Ó Súilleabháin’s choral suite. Together, under the baton of Fergus Sheil, they will bring us on a very special adventure. The performance of Madison’s Descent will be preceded by a short recital by Ó Súilleabháin with the Carolan Chamber Orchestra of some of his favourite compositions.
- St Marys’ Church, Irishtown/ Friday 5th July at 8:30pm
- Tickets €22/€18 on sale https://junctionfestival.ticketsolve.com/shows/873493981/events
- We Can Be Heroes
- “We Can Be Heroes” will celebrate the rock legends of the last 40 years with a medley of classics from bands like The Rolling Stones, The Cars, The Jam and of course the currently much in vogue David Bowie. Songs that inspire. Songs that celebrate the rock and roll dream. Songs that make you feel you could be a hero,….if only “just for one day”. 15 of the most exciting young rock musicians including the talented emerging voices of Eoin Hally, Ruairi de Leaster and Kate Twohig will be working with rock musician and producer Gavin Glass creating an unforgettable evening for the 2013 Clonmel Junction Festival. Glass and the local musicians will be joined by special guests including Paul Walsh (Royseven) and the magnificent mustached maestro Jerry Fish as MC, bringing a carnival flavour to the proceedings. Expect a big sound from a full band with brass and strings and a thrilling set of classics mixed with some original music by the emerging and established artists, all blended into a fantastic evening of rock.
- Gordon St. Carpark, Saturday 6th July 8:30pm, Tickets €16 (€12 Concession), Duration 120 mins plus interval, Full bar strictly over 18.
- Tickets are on sale at https://junctionfestival.ticketsolve.com/shows/873494976/events
- 24 Little Hours
- 24 Little Hours is a participatory poetry and prose programme incorporating workshops, walks, readings, conversations and some time to write, all taking place over the first weekend of Junction Festival. Grace Wells, Mark Roper, Dave Lordan & Mia Gallagher, four leading writers from Ireland’s world of poetry and prose, will come to Clonmel for 24 hours. During their stay in the town, they will share their skills with emerging writers and poetry enthusiasts, perform their work at set readings, and walk and explore the streets of Clonmel with workshop participants, giving insights into how a writer goes about their work, and develops their skills of observation and composition.
- With workshop sessions taking place at locations throughout the town and over the 24 hours, the participants will see the urban landscape as it changes colour from busy shopping streets through the hubbub of Saturday night and into the quiet of Sunday morning. On Sunday afternoon there will be an open-mic session at which the participants will have the opportunity to share some of the work they created during the Twenty-Four little hours.
- To be part of 24 little hours you can fill out our application form at
- Various locations around Clonmel
Sat 6th and Sun 7th July
Programme Participation €35
Duration 24 hours
- Plus more…