Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
« KadmusArts Community ForumTravelNotes from the RoadNew Orleans- a mix of emotions »
ThreadTools

Print

(Read 2465 times) [1]

New Orleans- a mix of emotions
« on: April 29, 2006, 06:51:02 PM » by Ana Maria
I’m in New Orleans for JazzFest. This year we wanted to get in all three days (of a normally four-day festival) so arrived Thursday afternoon.  I had been trying to figure out whether and how to deviate from a beeline to the Fairgrounds in order to see really devastated areas such as the 9th Ward.   As it turned out, our cab driver at the airport said he needed to take an alternate route due to an accident on the more direct highway route.

So- we ended up driving through block after block of shotgun houses-- tons of debris STILL on the front lawn (it has been EIGHT months since the hurricane). Many had an X along with other codes spray painted on the doors which seemed to indicate that the houses were not inhabited and not fit for habitation. 

Having worked in humanitarian relief in other parts of the world for a living, I was taken aback that many months after this disaster, there are basic logistical procedures and other emergency assistance mechanisms that have never been followed through on.  If you are interested in knowing about the Humanitarian Charter and Minimum Standards for Disaster Response you can check out:  http://www.sphereproject.org/ 

nuf said.

(Read 2465 times) [1]
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Members List
Login
Register

ForumStats

990 Posts
783 Topics