Time of Music (Musiikin aika)
Photo credits: See Practical information below.
Click on any image to zoom in
|Country and Region||Finland — Central Finland|
|Type of Festival||Music|
|Location of Festival||Viitasaari, Central Finland, Finland|
|Festival Contact Information|
In the small town of Viitasaari in Central Finland—every summer there is a festival that offers numerous world premieres of modern music. This event, originally called the Viitasaari Summer Academy, became Time of Music in 1985. Time of Music Festival offers contemporary music in unique settings: intimate home concerts, concert at Tervamäki chapel with a view to lake Keitele and installations in public spaces of Viitasaari. The festival is an unforgettable mixture of the most beautiful Finnish summer landscape and innovative and high quality concerts.
|Festival Dates||July 2 - 7, 2013|
- Peter Ablinger
- The guest composer of the year 2013 is Peter Ablinger. His workshop ”Composition beyond Music” reflects one of the themes of this year’s festival: site-specificity in music. During this workshop the artists representing different genres will build performances and installations in public spaces of Viitasaari. Another theme this year is dealing with the fundamental question ”What is music”. This question is answered among others by Ablinger’s music that is played in concerts throughout the festival.
- Curious Chamber Players
- One of the most interesting young ensembles in Nordic countries, Curious Chamber Players from Sweden will perform and give a workshop for young composers. CCP has performed successfully for example in Darmstadt and Impuls Festival in Graz and will be presented at many international contemporary music festivals during 2013-2014. The workshops by Curious Chamber Players and Peter Ablinger are organized as a part of Ulysses Project funded by EU Commission’s Culture programme.
- Frederik Croene
- The Belgian pianist is known for his visionary piano recitals. At Time of Music we hear concert ”Extended”, that explores the dimensions of electronics, grand piano, piano and the body of a piano. In his other concert Croene will perform Shiraz, the rarely heard virtuoso classic by Claude Vivier.
- Sonar Quartett
- Sonar Quartett from Berlin is giving two concerts. They perform a world premier string quartet by Sami Klemola, commissioned by Time of Music, along with other string quartet pieces created in the frame of Ulysses project.
- Uusinta (UCE)
- The Finnish top quality chamber ensemble Uusinta (UCE) performs on Saturday 6th of July another world premiere and a commission by Time of Music, piano concerto by Lauri Kilpiö. The soloist is Joonas Ahonen, a Vienna-based Finnish pianist working at Klangforum Wien. Ahonen has worked with famous composers beginning with Sofia Gubaidulina, received praise for his interpretations of modern classics such as the Ligeti Piano Concerto and has also established himself as a sought-after soloist with the likes of Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra and Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra.
- Petri Kumela, Joonas Widenius & Emilia Aho
- The festival ends with concert where classical music and flamenco meet by the most prominent Finnish guitarists Petri Kumela and Joonas Widenius and dancer Emilia Aho at Suovanlahti maamiesseurantalo. The festival also organizes home concerts and presents films, artistic talks, lectures and an art exhibition as a part of the programme.
KadmusArts on Facebook:
- Like KadmusArts on Facebook — we are your gateway to interact with the global community of festival fans, artist and organizers. Please share your comments and experiences in regard to this festival at http://www.facebook.com/pages/KadmusArts/17962154811
Photo slideshow credits:
- In order of appearance
- Apartment House: XXX Live Nude Girls concert
- Bravade concert at Tervamäki chapel
- Andrea Bini of Dark Project (Italy), photographed by Rauli Janhunen
- Flute player Jorma Tapio (Finland), photographed by Rauli Janhunen
- Mikrophonie Teatteri. Stockhausen’s Mikrophonie being played by e.g. Perttu Haapanen, the festival’s artistic director in the front, and composer Antti Auvinen back. Photographed by Antti Kemppainen