India Music Week
|Country and Region||United States — New York|
|Type of Festival||Music|
|Location of Festival||New York, New York, USA|
|Festival Contact Information|
Archive of Contemporary Music
The ARChive of Contemporary Music (ARC) produces India Music Week (IMW) that will lead an online project to celebrate Indian music and culture during India Music Week. In 2011 World Music Day was launched and each successive year features a festival dedicated to a different country.
”IMW will be an online website to present, promote and explore the rich cultural heritage of Indian music of the past, present and future. IMW will offer videos, histories, seminars, concerts, lectures, sound files, sheet music, broadcasts, narrowcasts, album cover art galleries, essays, blogs, photos and links all highlighting the importance and beauty of Indian music as well as educate a global audience about it’s many genres and facets. Building on our collection of more than 5,000 relevant recordings ARC, with the help of Gracenote, has already catalogued 25,000 Asian Indian recordings issued domestically and from around the world during IMW. This database will be one of the largest online reference tools on the web, freely available to all.
|Festival Dates||October 7 - 13, 2013|
- Indian Consulates and Embassies - worldwide
- Nisha Sahai Achuthan – essay - “Folk Songs of Uttar Pradesh”
- Afrropop Worldwide, USA – Syndicated Radio Program website focus on the music of India.
- Amarrass Records, New Delhi – recordings, contest + concert in India - see blog http://indiamusicweek.wordpress.com/
- Artistik License / Manojna Yeluri, Bangalore, India – essay, “Independent Artist Concern in the Indian Music Industry” + rights workshop.
- Association of Indians In America – NY
- Bhartiya Vidya Bhavan, NYC. Evening of Indian classical music
- Sidharth Bhatia – intro to his new book on Indian Rock’n’roll + Rockin’ photo essay
- CD Baby, Portland, OR – special selection – just for us – of Indian albums, discounted for the week.
- Samir Chatterjee - talk illustrated with live music, “Understanding Indian Music” at Chhandayan, NYC, FREE - Sat, Oct 12, 5:30pm
- Kaushiki Chakrabarty – concert, vocalist, Washington, DC.
- Dr. Suresh Chandvankar
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong, China – Bollywood film course + student project.
- Carl Clements, visiting professor, music, Hampshire College, Amherst, MA – essay: John Coltrane + India
- Columbia University, Wiener Music & Arts Library, NYC – exhibition, metadata
- Columbia University, Center for Ethnomusicology, NYC – symposium
- Diwali Festival (Festival of Light), South Street Seaport Deepavali Mela, Sunday Oct 6, 2013, NYC
- DJ Rekha – Hosting Guinness Book of World Records attempt – largest Bhangra dance! NYC, Oct 6
- The Dhrupad Music Institute of America (DMIA) – Washingtin DC
- Naresh Fernandes – Indian Jazz Photo Gallery and feature on his site + book, Taj Mahal Foxtrot: The Story of Bombay’s Jazz Age
- Folktronic / SINE (Sony Music Independent Network), India - Exclusive sampler free on India Music site.
- B.George – essay, film: Indian cardboard gramophone
- Scott Groffman, NYU – “Ball of CONfusion – Mixing Asian Indian and Western Musical Traditions” – essay + interviews.
- The Gypsy Allstars (members of Gypsy Kings) – talk/workshop as part of Bamboleo Meets Bollywood and Return to Rajasthan concert, Jodhpur, Oct 13.
- HarmoNYom – Concert, NYC
- Indian Music Experience Museum, Bangalore
- Jerry Johansson, Dan Fröberg, Alexandra E. Lindh – Göteborg, Sweden. Concert + multimedia event.
- Jonathan M. Kertzer, Director folkwaysAlive! + University of Alberta, Canada – lecture Oct 9
- Rolf Killius – exclusive video and 14 folk music videos created for the Utsavam: Exhibition Films, Horniman Museum, London
- Sunny Mathew, India – 365 seventy-eight rpm recordings – one for every day of the year – on a specially created India Week YouTube channel.
- Molecule Communications / Ajay Shrivastav - NYC
- New York Public Library for the Performing Arts, Lincoln Center, NYC – exhibit of Indian recordings
- Ruchira Panda - concert, Hindustani vocalist, upholder of Kotali Gharana, at Chhandayan, NYC, Oct 12.
- Suchita Rao – concert, vocalist, Learnquest Academy, Framingham, MA, Oct 12
- Chris Read / WhoSampled.com – Video illustrated feature on Asian Indian sample sources East/West
- Realworld Records – streaming compilation from Peter Gabriel’s label
- Phil Scarff – concert, saxophone
- Michal Shapiro, NYC – Film report on the India Indie scene in Chennai
- M. S. Sheela – concert, Carnatic vocalist , SSVT, Washington DC, Oct 12
- Baluji Shrivastav + the Inner Vision Orchestra, Plymouth University, UK, Sat Oct 12
- Dr. Brian Q. Silver, USA – essay: Moral Conduct and Authority: The Place of Adab in South Asian Islam
- Simla House Inc, USA – donated recordings
- Stephen Slawek – concert, University of Texas at Austin, Butler School of Music
- Studio-X, Mumbai / Agora Collective, Berlin - Cocktails + Synths: Musicians create an aural portrait of Mumbai, with a performance + party.
- “Sound of Folkways” Radio Show, CJSR, Canada, 9-10PM, featuring Smithsonian Folkways UNESCO re-issue of Indian music, Oct 9th,
- South Asian Studies Library, Columbia University, NYC, Gary J. Hausman, - resource page,
- University of Salford, UK, Centre for Popular Music Research
- UNK: The Radha Thomas Ensemble – Jazz from Bangalore
KadmusArts on Facebook:
- Like KadmusArts on Facebook — we are your gateway to interact with the global community of festival fans, artist and organizers. Please share your comments and experiences in regard to this festival at http://www.facebook.com/pages/KadmusArts/17962154811