Earth Week in Concord
Photos courtesy of Musketaquid Arts & Environment
Click on any image to zoom in
|Country and Region||United States — Massachusetts|
|Type of Festival||Music|
|Location of Festival||Concord, Massachusetts, USA|
|Festival Contact Information|
Musketaquid Arts and Environment produces the annual Earth Week festivities that pay homage to International Earth Day, celebrated every year worldwide on April 22nd. Earth Week in Concord. All Earth Week events will be presented in Concord, with many based at Emerson Umbrella Center for the Arts located at 40 Stow Street in Concord. Everyone is welcome to join in Musketaquid Earth Day and Earth Week, either as a participant or as an active observer. The program features music, a parade, workshops, children’s events, artist exhibitions, and more.
|Festival Dates||April 21 - 27, 2013|
Founded in 1990, Musketaquid Arts & Environment, the environmental arts wing of Emerson Umbrella Center for the Arts, is a place-based program whose mission is to provide opportunities to create and experience art and to explore, learn about, celebrate and care for the local environment. For many years now, Musketaquid Arts and Environment has honored Mother Earth by devoting a special week in the Spring to celebrating the natural beauty of the Concord area, aptly described by Massachusetts’ first people as musketaquid, the place where the waters flows through the grasses. During this time, Musketaquid rallies in a big way by presenting their own annual Musketaquid Earth Day to pay a special artistic tribute to Concord’s beautiful natural surroundings, long recognized by the likes of Thoreau and Emerson.
Music lineup 2013:
- The Folks Below with Holly Brewer
- Squeezebox Stompers
- Julie Corey of The Village Drum
- Sunday, April 21, 1:00pm-4:00pm — River Ceremony Workshop
- Led by artist and certified InterPlay trainer CC King. This workshop, the second of two (the first to be held on Sat. April 13) will explore the many ways one can construct a floating sculpture out of natural branch and grass fibers. These sculptures will then be launched during the Earth Day River Ceremony, held the morning of April 27, providing a peaceful flotilla that makes its way down the Concord River to destinations real and imagined. The workshop location will be determined in early April.
- Sunday, April 21, 5:00pm-8:00pm — Earth Month Art Exhibit Artists’ Reception
- A non-juried art show which runs in the Emerson Umbrella Center for the Arts Gallery from April 13 through May 5. The exhibit features craft and fine art in two and three dimensions, as well as photography, video, and multi-media. The artists’ reception will showcase live performances of music and spoken word. The winner of Musketaquid’s first annual T-Shirt Design Contest, who will announced in early April, will be honored at the reception. The winning design will be emblazoned on the front of this year’s Earth Day T-Shirt which will be available for purchase on Musketaquid Earth Day, April 27.
- Wednesday, April 24, 7:30pm-9:00pm — Puppet Dress Rehearsal
- Final touches on preparing puppets for the Musketaquid Earth Day Parade. Led by puppet-making artist Morningstar Medaye and the Musketaquid Parade Team. Last minute participants welcome.
- Friday, April 26, 8:00pm — Rory Block In Concert
- Presented during Musketaquid Earth Week by Emerson Umbrella Center for the Arts and sponsored by Concord-based Reasons To Be Cheerful (www.cheerful-reasons.com). Tickets are $25-$35. More information can be found specifically at www.emersonumbrella.org/rory-block.
KadmusArts on Facebook:
- Like KadmusArts on Facebook — we are your gateway to interact with the global community of festival fans, artist and organizers. Please share your comments and experiences in regard to this festival at http://www.facebook.com/pages/KadmusArts/17962154811