Gilroy Garlic Festival
Photos by Bill Strange. For credits see Practical information below.
Click on any image to zoom in
|Country and Region||United States — California|
|Type of Festival||Music|
|Location of Festival||Gilroy, California, USA|
|Festival Contact Information|
Gilroy Garlic Festival Association
The Gilroy Garlic Festival originated in 1979 with a charge to highlight the town of Gilroy and its prominence as the foremost grower of garlic in the world. Since then over 3.9 MILLION people have attended The Festival. The Festival is run by a private non-profit corporation, the Gilroy Garlic Festival Association. Its mission is to support the community projects, charitable groups and service organizations of Gilroy. In 34 years over $8.7 MILLION has been distributed. The Festival is internationally acclaimed as “America’s premier summertime food festival.”
The Garlic Festival hosts three days of cooking competitions — including the Great Garlic Cook-Off — arts and crafts vendors, a children’s entertainment area and 50 live concerts. The festival always takes place during the last full weekend of July
|Festival Dates||July 26 - 28, 2013|
Festival programming 2013:
- Great Garlic Cook-Off
- Garlic Showdown
- Gourmet Alley Demonstration Stage
- Children’s Area and Entertainment Stage
- 3 Stages featuring 50 live concerts
- Arts & Crafts
KadmusArts on Facebook:
- Like KadmusArts on Facebook — we are your gateway to interact with the global community of festival fans, artist and organizers. Please share your comments and experiences in regard to this festival at http://www.facebook.com/pages/KadmusArts/17962154811
Photo slideshow credits:
- In order of appearance
- The Gilroy Garlic Festival hosts 50 live concerts on 3 stages, photo by Bill Strange
- A pyro chefs prepares calamari on Gourmet Alley at the Gilroy Garlic Festival, photo by Bill Strange
- The Cook-Off Theater at the Gilroy Garlic Festival hosts three days of competition and celebrity chefs
- Christmas Hill Park
7050 Miller Avenue
- Available online at
- Festival parking lots open at 9:00am each morning.
- From San Jose and areas north: Watch for the Caltrans sign trucks on US 101 as you enter Gilroy. Use the exit suggested on the sign truck. Follow the signs and watch for traffic control officers on roadways.
- From Salinas and areas south: Use the Monterey Road exit. Follow the signs and watch for traffic control officers on roadways. From Watsonville & Santa Cruz areas: Use Highway 129 to US 101 north, exit Monterey Road. Follow the signs and watch for traffic control officers on roadways. Alternate route use Highway 152 east to Santa Teresa Blvd south.
- From Pacheco Pass Highway: Follow the signs. Take the first left west of Bloomfield Ave (approximately 1.5 miles) Enter US 101 south and exit Monterey Road. Follow the signs and watch for traffic control officers on roadways.
- If using a mapping service: Christmas Hill Park address is 7050 Miller Avenue, Gilroy CA 95020. NOTE: Do not follow map service directions as streets are blocked off around park. All traffic is directed to festival parking lot.
- Free secure bicycle parking is available on Miller Ave. at the levee.
- Attention Tour Bus Operators: Please always use Masten Avenue exit regardless of traffic control signs on US 101.