Wirrina Bluegrass Festival
Old South Bluegrass Band; and Festival logo.
Click on any image to zoom in
|Country and Region||Australia — South Australia|
|Type of Festival||Music|
|Location of Festival||Wirrina Cove, South Australia, Australia|
|Festival Contact Information|
South Australia has just become a whole lot more interesting this September with the inaugural Wirrina Bluegrass Festival. Presented by the Yankalilla Acoustic Music group — the 2012 Wirrina Bluegrass Festival marks the first edition's celebration. Over the last forty years Bluegrass music in South Australia has become increasingly popular and has developed a strong grassroots following.
The events take place at Wirrina Resort, located 90km south of Adelaide, The venue offers an excellent festival location where musicians and audience members can find accommodation, food and an opportunity to perform and listen in a range of venues. For additional information visit http://wirrinabluegrass.com/.
|Festival Dates||September 6 - 8. 2013|
We ask Ian Main why he is coordinating the inaugural Wirrina Bluegrass Festival
I’ve heard people saying Bluegrass is too country to be folk and others saying it’s too folk to be country. Well, I agree.
That’s how the idea of the Wirrina Bluegrass festival came about. There are a couple more good reasons why Bluegrass is the focal point of the Wirrina Festival. Of course one is that it just sounds so good but it’s also about how the music is physically created. Bluegrass music was born in front of a microphone but is played with totally acoustic instruments. I believe you can’t get a better combination for great live concerts.
Now don’t get me wrong I like both Country and folk music especially when traditional instruments are used. So just as you hear a bit of Bluegrass at any good Country or Folk festival you will be able to hear a mix of Bluegrass’s acoustic cousins at Wirrina.
The other thing that Bluegrass is famous for is its jam-sessions. These will be a big part of the Wirrina Bluegrass festival. We will have sessions that are lead by the festivals finest Bluegrass musicians. These we will program so you don’t miss out on your chance to play along with them. We have also created the spaces for those all important impromptu sessions to happen. If you play an acoustic instrument just bring it along. Just a little warning though, after you have played in a session or two you will want to play more Bluegrass music because it’s just so much fun. That’s what happened to me.
- The festival will take place in September (6th-8th) at Wirrina Resort (on the Fleurieu Peninsula, just south of Adelaide). We’re running more stages too, which adds up to a great festival venue with great festival music. This second festival features some of Australian Bluegrass’s favourite bluegrass acts including:
- Old South Bluegrass
- The Davidson Brothers
- The Cherry Pickers
- Astro Cobalt
- Cripple Creek
- Acoustic roots music lineup
- Andrew Clermont
- Cal Williams Jr.
- Shared Affair
- The Hushes
- Passion Fruit Fools
- Saltwater Taffy
- Wirrina Resort offers food for all tastes and budgets as well as special room rates and a great campground on site.
- Audience participation
- So you want to play some music too? No problem - we have lots of ways to make that happen. This is your festival for your music. Send us an email email@example.com and pre-book a spot in our blackboard tent or put your name up on our open mic board when you arrive. Or jump in on a session; there will be lots of these happening over the weekend especially when our feature Bluegrass bands fire up in our led session program.
- Maybe a fiddle workshop with Andrew Clermont or a Banjo and Mandolin workshop with the Davidson Brothers is what you are looking for. With all this on offer don’t forget to pack your instruments and voices.
- Visit the web site for more information and to join the mailing list at http://www.wirrinabluegrass.com
KadmusArts on Facebook:
- Like KadmusArts on Facebook — we are your gateway to interact with the global community of festival fans, artist and organizers. Please share your comments and experiences in regard to this festival at http://www.facebook.com/pages/KadmusArts/17962154811
- Wirrina Resort & Conference Centre
Wirrina Cove, SA, Australia