|Country and Region||United Kingdom — England|
|Type of Festival||Comedy, Drama, Music|
|Location of Festival||Grassington, North Yorkshire, England, UK|
|Festival Contact Information|
Grassington Festival is an extravaganza of family-friendly arts and entertainment that includes live music, comedy, children’s activities, theatre, puppetry, visual arts and installations among others. Within each artistic category there are a range of genres that will offer something for everyone’s interests and an opportunity to discover interests that you never thought you’d fancy! The festival takes place in the beautiful North Yorkshire village of Grassington.
|Festival Dates||June 13 - 28, 2014|
Music program 2013:
- Friday, June 14
- Opening Night Party — The Beat
- Tuesday, June 18
- Wallfisch (cello) and Peter Donohoe (piano)
- Tuesday, June 25
- Comedy with Jack Dee
- Wednesday, June 26
- Jools Holland and his Rhythm & Blues Orchestra (SOLD OUT)
- Thursday, June 27
- Black Dyke Band
- Friday, June 28
- THE ORCHESTRA starring ELO former members
- Saturday, June 29
- Last Night Party: Levellers plus support plus DJ
Theatre program 2013:
- Pat Kirkwood is Angry
- The play explores the life and times of one of Britain’s superstar singers of the second world war.
- Growing Old Disgracefully
- The venerable doyenne of Fleet Street, Virginia Ironside brings Growing Old Disgracefully, her hilarious and ironic take on life at 60. * Bunk Puppets and Scamp Theatre
- The performers return after the success of last year’s Swamp Juice, with a new show Slapdash Galaxy and Illyria will perform Babe: The Sheep Pig, in the beautiful setting of Bolton Abbey Priory grounds.
- There is a diverse range of workshops, with learning experiences for visitors that range from Dry Stone Walling and Laughter Yoga to singing Handel’s The Messiah and Create Your Own Weather Vane. Alongside all of this are guided Festival walks, poetry and all sorts of Grassington Festival Fringe performances.
- For the first time ever, we have a Festival beer. Brewed in Wharfedale by husband and wife team, Richard and Carole Eyton-Jones at The Dark Horse Brewery, FestivAle has been crafted specially for the Festival to showcase the best qualities of a creamy Yorkshire Ale. Launching on 1st June, FestivAle will be available to try in pubs up and down the Dale. The ale is 4% ABV.
World Yorkshire Pudding Championships 2013:
- June 16 — The World Yorkshire Pudding Championships will take place on the village green at Linton. With classes ranging from the traditional “Best Yorkshire in Show” to the more creative “Miniature Garden in a Giant Yorkshire” and “Hat or Fascinator featuring a Yorkshire Pud”, expect sideshows aplenty including the Yorkshire Pudding Shy and Whack the Pud plus much more. Further details and entry forms can be found on our website and from our Box Office on 01756 752691. Closing date for entries is Saturday 1st June. And whilst you are enjoying the fun, why not watch one of Theakstons’ traditional coopers demonstrate the art of barrel-making and hear music from the barrel organ.
- We have a real taste of Yorkshire on offer with a mini Food Festival in the Square and our Yorkshire Pudding World Championships on Linton Green. Local restaurants are creating inspirational and adventurous food events including From Lake to Plate with Kilnsey Park, the fascinating Wild Food Foraging with Chris Bax and Grassington House, and a Mozart Opera Dinner presented by Angelic Productions of The Angel Inn, Hetton.
- Alan Davies exclusive for Grassington Festival (Ripton Gazette, April 16, 2012)
- Box Office
The Festival Office
Grassington, North Yorkshire BD23 5AT
Phone: +44 01756 752691