Strummer of Love Festival
Strummer of Love Festival Logo
Click on any image to zoom in
|Country and Region||United Kingdom — England|
|Type of Festival||Music|
|Location of Festival||Somerset, England, UK|
|Festival Contact Information|
Strummer of Love, a one-off, unique festival to commemorate the late, great Joe Strummer is to be held at a beautiful, secret location in the middle of the Somerset countryside this summer. Taking place on the weekend of 17-19 August, 2012 the event will mark the 10th anniversary of the death of Strummer, the legendary Clash frontman, and feature a host of globally renowned performers.
Strummer was a tireless community activist and remains a powerful and inspirational force whose art, convictions and energy spans the decades and unites generations. In honour of Strummer’s world views proceeds from the festival will benefit the work of Strummerville: The Joe Strummer New Music Foundation, which was set up in the singer’s memory by his friends and family following his untimely death.
Lucinda Garland, Chair of the Board of Trustees, said: “We felt there was only one way to mark Joe’s anniversary and that was around a campfire in the fields at a festival, his favourite place to be. We have been truly honoured with so many brilliant bands coming out to play at this tribute at what promises to be a great benefit for the charity which will help us to continue our work.”
|Festival Dates||August 17 - 19, 2012|
Since its 2003 inception Strummerville has stayed true to Joe’s reputation as a rallying point and motivational icon by driving a host of projects that provide invaluable opportunities for musical creativity to thrive. Strummerville’s work comes in many forms, from helping bands to record and release music to providing rehearsal spaces for aspiring artists. Strummerville studios can be found at the roundhouse and under the Westway in London, in Belfast and in Bogotá. The main aim of the charity is to give opportunities to people through music who wouldn’t usually have access to such opportunities.
Strummer of Love is a natural extension of their infamous campfire sessions at festivals such as Glastonbury, Secret Garden Party and Endorse It In Dorset. Faithful to the spirit of Strummer’s diverse life and career — as hippy era festivalgoer, folk troubadour, family man, globally feted punk icon and world music explorer — it will be an occasion to savour leaving behind a plan of action after the partying is over.
- Main Stage
- Seasick Steve (Friday headliner), The Pogues, Badly Drawn Boy, Frank Turner, Billy Bragg, Roots Manuva, Basement Jaxx (DJ), KT Tunstall, King Charles, Alabama 3, The Farm, The Men They Couldn’t Hang, Dreadzone, Emmy the Great, Reverend and the Makers, Don Letts, Mr C, David Rodigan, Kitty Daisy and Lewis, Slow Club, Dog is Dead, Dub Pistols, Man Like Me, Get Cape Wear Cape Fly, Bastille, The Whip, Joshua Moses, Jim Jones Revue, Fionn Regan, Crazy P, Channel One Soundsystem, Talisman, Fit Les, The Time and Space Machine, Hollie Cook, Josh Kumra, Ska Lavin, Kate Tempest, Yob, Luca C & Brigante, Guy Williams, Parma Violets, Matices Latinos, Dark Moon, Atlantics, The Joker and the Thief, The Validators, The Supernovas, Beans on Toast, Ben Folke Thomas
- Strummerville Campfire Stage
- Alex Cox, Archive 45, Arrows of Love, Bad for Lazarus, Bebe Black, Billy Liar, Bone, Boss Caine, Bryony May Fry, China White, Chris Jagger, Declan Bennett, Dekay, Dirty Nelly, Formula and Creole, Gaz Brookfield, Hares, Hoodlums, Huw Olesker, Kal Lavelle, Kate Tempest, King Jacks, Kitty Finer, Leon Fender Walker (AKA Urban Glassbak), Little Robyn, Little Switzerland, Lloyd Yates, Lois & The Love, Los Ladrones de Amor, Loverproof, L’tnt, Lucy and the Scamps, Lyza Jane, Matt Guitar Matt, Missed You at the Show, Nimmo & the Gauntletts, One Eyed Wayne, Optik Sound System, Real Fur, Savage Nomads, Sean McGowan, Sydney J Spencer, The Barker Band, Thee Deadtime Philharmonic, The Din, The Lights, The Meat and Onions Gang, The Promenade, The Riff Raff, The Welcome Committee, The Wild Mercury Sound, This is Laura and Thomas J Speight.
- In the spirit of the DIY ethos that Joe Strummer stood for Strummer of Love will be the only major UK festival to handle its own ticket sales, bypassing the typically hefty booking fees associated with festivals. Strummerville will also have a forum for re-sale of tickets so that they won’t be on sale via so-called “fan-to-fan” websites. The first 1,001 tickets will be made available on April 4, 2012 at a special price of £101 in honour of Strummer’s first band, The 101ers. Visit the web site for details.
- A secret location in Somerset. The precise location will be supplied with delivery of physical ticket. Transportation details will also be supplied with delivery of physical ticket.