Carreño Summer Master Class Series
Photo credits: See Practical information below.
Click on any image to zoom in
|Country and Region||United States — Florida|
|Type of Festival||Dance|
|Location of Festival||Sarasota, Florida, USA|
|Festival Contact Information|
Carreño Summer Master Class Series
International ballet star José Carreño has served as Artistic Director of Sarasota’s annual dance festival bearing his name since its founding in 2010. Now, in addition to his duties at the Carreno Dance Festival, it has been announced by Ballet San Jose that he has been named to the position of Artistic Director for that well-respected California company.
Currently spending time at the Silicon Valley location, Carreño is working on plans for the 2013-2014 season of Ballet San Jose. However, he returns to Sarasota in time for the opening of the third annual Summer Master Class Series at the Sarasota Opera House and the Sarasota Cuban Ballet School from July 29 through August 17, culminating in the traditional Festival of Stars performance.
José Carreño says, “My expectations for another successful summer program in Sarasota are extremely high. We have an impressive roster of preprofessional students from across the United States including Canada and the United Kingdom, and we are welcoming another incredible international faculty.
Among the faculty members assembled by Carreño and Robert de Warren, president of the Sarasota International Dance Festival, the presenting organization for the Summer Master Class Series, are Loipa Araujo, co-director of the English National Ballet, Yuri Fateev, director of the Mariinsky Ballet in St. Petersburg, Russia, Rinat Imaev, company teacher for American Ballet Theatre, Carlos dos Santos, modern Brazilian choreographer and master teacher, Magaly Suarez , master teacher and artistic director of Florida Classical Ballet, and Julie Kent, principal dancer from American Ballet Theatre.
Highlighting the Festival of Stars program on August 17th at 5 pm at the Sarasota Opera House will be a performance of the pas de deux from The Merry Widow with Julie Kent and Jose Carreño. The program will feature The Sleeping Beauty Suite as well as A Contemporary Mood, especially created for the Festival of Stars by Carlos dos Santos with original music by David Goldstein.
Appearing in the Rose Adagio from Sleeping Beauty is Shelby Elsbree from the Boston Ballet, a Sarasota native who previously danced with the Royal Danish Ballet for four years. Other guest artists are Jordan Elizabeth Long from the Royal Swedish Ballet and Nathan Chaney of Ballet Zurich.
|Festival Dates||July 29 - August 17, 2013|
- The Third Season
An exciting third season is about to get underway for the Carreño Dance Festival. From July 29th through August 17th, advanced and pre-professional students from across the United States, including Hawaii, as well as from Canada, the United Kingdom, France, Italy, Ecuador and Brazil will gather for the Festival’s Summer Master Class series, held at the Sarasota Opera House and the Sarasota Cuban Ballet School.
- Summer Program Students
- Among the dancers enrolled in the third summer program are two returning male students – Aran Bell from 2011, and Francisco Serrano from a year ago. Both of them have won recognition at the finals of the Youth America Grand Prix in New York which each year draws more than 300 of the most promising students representing 30 countries on five continents to compete. In addition, Aran Bell was featured in “First Position’’ the critically acclaimed film documentary about the YAGP.
- The Summer Master Class Series
- Led by José Carreño, ballet luminary who recently accepted the position of Artistic Director of Ballet San Jose in California, welcomes back a roster of distinguished master teachers and coaches including special guest Yuri Fateev of Russia’s famed Mariinsky Ballet and Loipa Araujo, world-class master teacher, now co-director of the English National Ballet. Observer passes are available for selected classes and rehearsals from July 29 – August 16.
- Three young Americans who are making a name for themselves in the ballet world will be spotlighted in the culminating performance of the Carreño Summer Master Class series. Shelby Elsbree, a native Sarasotan now dancing with the Boston Ballet, Jordan Elizabeth Long, a soloist with the Royal Swedish Ballet, and Nathan Chaney with Ballet Zurich will share the stage of the Sarasota Opera House with the talented stars of tomorrow who attend this summer’s program.
- The 2013 Festival of Stars
- The Festival of Stars will be enhanced by a performance of the pas de deux from The Merry Widow, danced by Julie Kent, principal dancer of American Ballet Theatre, partnered by José Carreño. The program also includes The Sleeping Beauty Suite and A Contemporary Mood, especially created for the Festival by Carlos dos Santos, noted Brazilian choreographer with music by David Goldstein.
KadmusArts on Facebook:
- Like KadmusArts on Facebook — we are your gateway to interact with the global community of festival fans, artist and organizers. Please share your comments and experiences in regard to this festival at http://www.facebook.com/pages/KadmusArts/17962154811
Photo slideshow credits:
- In order of appearance
- Guest Teacher Loipa Araujo teaching a class during the Summer Intensive Program
- Student Swan Lake corps which performed in the final presetation of the Summer Intensive Workshop of the Carreno Dance Festival in August of 2011. Credit: Bill Wagy.
- Dance Students performing in “Master Class” in final presentation. Credit: Bill Wagy.
- Julie Kent and Jose Carreno appearing in the pas de deux from The Merry Widow, Credit Courtesy ABT-Gene Schiavone
- Jacoby & Pronk. Photo by Marty Sohl
- Misty Copeland
- Yuri Fateev, the renowned director of the Mariinsky Ballet in St. Petersburg, Russia who was a guest faculty member at the Summer Intensive teaching students in a partnering class.
- Tickets are presently on sale at the Sarasota Opera box office by calling 941 328-1300 or online at http://www.sarasotaopera.org/carrenofestival.aspx