|Country and Region||United States — New York|
|Type of Festival||Music|
|Location of Festival||Skaneateles, New York, USA|
|Festival Contact Information|
The annual chamber music festival has taken place in Skaneateles, New York since 1924. The program features renowned artists in concerts, workshops and meet the artists events.
|Festival Dates||August 8 - 31, 2013|
Season at a glance 2013:
- Week 1: The Voice
- From ancient times onwards, nearly all cultures have used singing for pleasure, comfort, and ritual. This week we consider the human voice to be the ultimate musical instrument, and we’ll hear works by some of the great song and opera composers, as well as music that makes string instruments “sing.” Join us for a fascinating intersection between sung text and instrumental playing, capped off by the Skaneateles debut of one of the worlds great a capella groups, Anonymous 4. Featuring: The Ying Quartet, Elinor Freer, Randall Scarlata, Jennifer Aylmer, Laura Ward, and Anonymous 4
- Week 2: SkanFest Goes Green!
- Can music be a form of recycling? You bet it can, and we’ll see how this week with the help of powerhouse composer, pianist, innovator, and musical recycler Donal Fox and virtuoso and Festival favorite Hilary Hahn. You’ll hear pieces based on recycled or reused tunes or other musical ideas, jazz improvisations on the classics, earlier pieces re-worked by later composers, and much much more! Featuring: David Ying, Elinor Freer, Donal Fox, The Donal Fox Inventions Trio, Hilary Hahn, and Cory Smythe
- Week 3: Earth, Winds, and Fire
- Featuring: June Han, Rebecca Albers, Bart Feller, Elinor Freer, Bella Hristova, David Ying, Kurt Miroki, Jeremy Mastrangelo, Mark Davis Sacatterday, and the Festival Winds.
- Week 4: Bohemian Triumph
- Discover the music of the original Bohemians, from Baroque and Classical masters to modern composers with a penchant for ragtime and a passion for social justice. Come and hear their creative musical treasures, including avante-garde and jazz influenced works, alive again with A Far Cry, a thrilling young orchestra brimming with spirit and personality.