Solid Sound Festival
Photos courtesy of KadmusArts. Image of Wilco courtesy of dBpm Records.
Click on any image to zoom in
|Country and Region||United States — Massachusetts|
|Type of Festival||Music|
|Location of Festival||North Adams, Massachusetts, USA|
|Festival Contact Information|
Chicago’s very own Wilco will come east to host the new Solid Sound Festival that will be held in Western Massachusetts town of North Adams at Mass MoCa. Mass MoCa is an arts and museum complex located on the site of campus of old mills that have been restored and developed into a thriving cultural hub. The line-up for the festival will include an extraordinary selection of acts. The programming also includes comedy acts, interactive installations and exhibitions.
|Festival Dates||June 21 - 23, 2013|
The Solid Sound Festival is envisioned by Wilco and presented in collaboration with MASS MoCA, a renovated 19th century textile mill located in the scenic Berkshire Mountains. Festival attendees have full access to the entire, sprawling museum campus, which incorporates 150,000 square feet of galleries and includes Kidspace, a museum within the museum, designed especially for children and families. This year Kidspace will feature expanded hours throughout the Solid Sound Festival weekend.
Artist feature 2013:
- Wilco (USA)
- Wilco formed in the mid ’90s by singer, songwriter, guitarist Jeff Tweedy. The Whole Love is the third album by the band’s current lineup, which solidified in 2004 when guitarist Nels Cline and guitarist/keyboardist Patrick Sansone joined Tweedy, founding bassist John Stirratt, drummer Glenn Kotche and keyboardist Mikael Jorgensen. Together, they released Sky Blue Sky in 2007 and the Grammy‐nominated Wilco (The Album) in 2009. Wilco have won Grammy Awards for their 2004 release A Ghost is Born in the Best Alternative Album and Best Recording Package categories. Wilco’s Jeff Tweedy won a Grammy award as producer for Mavis Staples’ 2010 album You Are Not Alone. Wilco have released 10 studio albums to date, including Mermaid Avenue Volumes 1 & 2, which, in collaboration with British folk singer Billy Bragg, set origin song lyrics by the truest of American icons, songwriter Woody Guthrie.
- For additional information visit
- Story Pirates
- Os Mutantes
- Al Madrigal
- Dream Syndicate (first North American show in 25 years)
- Jen Kirkman
- John Hodgman
- “Border Music” featuring Marc Ribot & David Hidalgo
- Mark Mulcahy
- Medeski, Martin & Wood with Special Guests
- Mikael Jorgensen & Greg O’Keeffe
- Neko Case
- Nels Cline & Julian Lage
- Reggie Watts
- Sam Amidon
- The Autumn Defense
- The Blisters
- The Dream Syndicate
- The Relatives
- White Denim
- WYNC’s Radiolab with a live soundtrack by On Fillmore
- Yo La Tengo
- Comedy Cabaret curated by John Hodgman featuring—
- Wyatt Cenac
- Eugene Mirman
- Morgan Murphy
- St. Louis & New Orleans based Euclid Records will host an on-site record shop, featuring their trademark killer selection of cool & hard to find vinyl & CDs
- If you like this festival… listen to
- Glenn Kotche: Wilco’s Solid Sound
- Glenn Kotche: Wilco’s Solid Sound
- Wilco to host very own music festival, by Alex Young (Consequence of Sound, April 6, 2010)
- MASS MoCA
87 Marshall Street
North Adams, MA 01247 USA
Phone: +01 413-662-2111
- Tickets for the three-day festival are $124.50 and available through http://solidsoundfestival.com/, http://www.massmoca.org/ and the MASS MoCA box office. (Early worm tickets are sold out). Price includes admission to festival and museum, service fees and designated festival parking.
- Admission for children 6 & under is free at Solid Sound. Weekend festival passes for kids ages 7-10 are $50 and ONLY AVAILABLE at the Solid Sound Box Office, starting Friday, June 24. They will be available throughout the entire weekend.
- If you’re traveling from Boston or New York, we want to make sure you know about the Luxury shuttle service (with in-seat power, wifi, movies, all for $40 each way). Leave the driving to us (or, well, to Peter Pan). We also have a ride-sharing page setup using Zimride http://ow.ly/5kxnX. Carpooling strongly encouraged.
- Wifi covers the festival grounds this year. We encourage you to follow Wilco on Twitter at http://twitter.com/#!/wilco to get real-time updates at the festival (e.g., updated artist album signings at the Euclid Record shop, dunk booth schedule, etc.)