Kinani - Festival Internacional de Dança Contemporanea
|Country and Region||Mozambique — Maputo|
|Type of Festival||Dance|
|Location of Festival||Maputo, Maputo, Mozambique|
|Festival Contact Information|
Festival Internacional de Dança Contemporanea
The Festival Internacional de Dança Contemporanea presents dance in all its forms of expression — of the individuality and celebration of the human spirit. Modern dance is an expression built on traditional dance choreography that constantly adapts and stretches to culture’s inevitable transformations. International dancers come together in Maputo to share in the expression of the international language of dance!
KINANI aims to promote an artistic language that even being new, has a big expression in Mozambique and beyond. Besides exposing Mozambique to other cultures, KINANI promotes the exchange and tries to gather the creators with their audience, offering an alternative way of leisure.
As an international biannual festival, KINANI contributes for the development and education of Mozambican dancers and choreographers, giving visibility to their work and bringing Contemporary Dance to the streets and to people.
Created in 2005 in order to enlarge the Contemporary Dance panorama in Maputo, KINANI has been allocated as one of the great showings of Contemporary Dance in Africa. We have been underlining the matter of considering research, experimentation and exchange as the guidelines for Contemporary Dance creations presented in the Festival.
|Festival Dates||November 1 - 6, 2011|
- Presentation of new Works of young choreographers in the category of Emerging Companies;
- Presentation of selected Works in the category of Established Companies (national and international);
- Several workshops with different approaches on Dance achieved in different locations around the country;
- Educational programs in Dance Schools and Public Schools;
- Showing of performances in the suburbs of the city;
- Parallel program with concerts, exhibitions, installations in public spaces and Traditional Dance performances.
- Available online at