Russian Festival of Performing Arts - Golden Mask
Photos courtesy of Russian Festival of Performing Arts - Golden Mask
Click on any image to zoom in
|Country and Region||Russia — Central Federal District|
|Type of Festival||Dance, Drama, Music|
|Location of Festival||Moscow, Central Federal District, Russia|
|Festival Contact Information|
Russian Festival of Performing Arts - Golden Mask
The Golden Mask National Award and Festival of Russian performing arts were established in 1994. The Festival annually presents the best drama, opera, ballet and puppetry productions of the previous season selected by a board of experts comprised of theatre critics, journalists and theatre managers. In accordance with the decisions of a jury consisting of theatre professionals, the prestigious Golden Mask award is conferred upon the best productions, directors, actors and stage designers nominated in some two dozen categories.
An important part of the Golden Mask Festival is the Russian Case, a showcase of Russian theatre addressed to a large contingent of international guests, including festival and theatre directors, promoters, programmers and theatre critics from all over the world. The Russian Case aims to update the international theatre community on recent developments in Russian theatre. The Russian Case is annually attended by over 80 guests from some 25-30 countries.
|Festival Dates||April 4 - 8, 2013|
The productions in the Golden Mask Performing Arts Festival are selected by prominent theatre critics and journalists from throughout Russia. In the course of several months, these experts watch video recordings of productions that have appeared during the year. In the next round for selection, committee members travel to see the production. Selection is based on both artistic quality and the production’s conceptual approach to material. From these site visits, the committee chooses each year’s festival showings. Each year, the festival includes a variety of Russian styles and trends in theater, opera and ballet. At the conclusion of the festival awards are presented for the best productions and individual talents. The festival has also developed the “Russian Case” - a special program of Russian theatre that is addressed to the international community. At this one festival, one can see the best productions of the season from all over Russia.
14th edition of the Russian Case Program 2013:
- This year
- The curator of Russian Case — 2013 is Kristina Matvienko, a leading Russian theatre critic and journalist, one of the curators of the New Play project. As in previous years, the programme will include the most interesting and representative theatre productions that opened during the last season, as well as those that premiered in the new season. The programme intends to reflect current trends of Russian theatre, presenting works by recognized masters as well as directors of younger generations.
- The first edition of the Russian Case was held in the frame of the Golden Mask Festival in 2000 and since then has become an annual event. Russian Case programme is addressed to foreign guests of the Golden Mask Festival: international festival and programme directors, producers, theatre critics and journalists. Russian Case is annually attended by 80-90 guests from 25 to 30 countries. The showcase presents selected productions out of those nominated for the Golden Mask Award and included in the main/competition programme, as well as the most interesting Moscow premieres of the current season.
- The programme is made up by competent theatre critics. Russian Case is also the space for dialogue between Russian and world theatre makers, for creative communication, exchange of information and knowledge. Collaborations between Russian and foreign theatres and festivals, publications in international media, invitations of Russian performances by international festivals, translation of new Russian plays into foreign languages and their promotion abroad – these are practical results of the Russian Case programme.
- Russian Case-2013 will present around 15 productions. Where it is technically possible and relevant, the performances will be provided with English translations (surtitles or simultaneous). As always, unofficial professional meetings and discussions with critics, writers, theatre directors and managers will form an important element of the showcase. Please note that the programme opens with evening performances on April 4 and ends with an evening show on April 8. Possibly, the following morning (April 9) there will be a wrap-up discussion moderated by Kristina Matvienko. We expect that the guests will be departing on April 9. There will be no performances on April 9 in the framework of the showcase.
- Invitation to participate
- We invite all those interested in coming to Moscow for the Russian Case to indicate their interest as soon as possible, but not later than January 25, 2013 so that we may reserve a place for you on our guest list. Upon receiving an indication of your interest at firstname.lastname@example.org, we will email to you the RC Registration Form. The Festival provides the RC guests with free tickets to the RC performances, offers free entrance to RC meetings and discussions, provides assistance with interpreting, pick-up from the airport, visa support and hotel reservation assistance. The Festival will also provide free accommodation for 5 nights to a limited number of guests from the CIS and Eastern Europe.
- Please submit your application for free accommodation by January 25, 2013.
- If you like this festival — listen to…
Articles and Resources:
- Golden moments. (The St.Petersburg Times, Issue #1061(27), April 15, 2005)
- Golden Masks Lose Their Shine. By Larisa Doctorow (The St.Petersburg Times, Issue #861(29), April 18, 2003)
- Golden Mask Festival Set to Shine. By Galina Stolyarova (The St.Petersburg Times, Issue #835(3), Friday, January 17, 2003)
- St.Pete Strong Contenders For Golden Mask. By John Freedman (The St.Petersburg Times, Issue #657(24), March 30, 2001)
- Dog-eating Monologue Proves Surprise Hit. By Tom Masters (The St.Petersburg Times, Issue #607(0), September 29, 2000)
Venues (Some regular venues in Moscow):
- Moscow Council State Academic Theater (Mossociet Theater) / Государственный академический Театр им. Моссовета
Phone: (7) 095 299-20-35
Phone/Fax: (7) 095 299-64-21
- Taganka Theater / Московский театр драмы и комедии На Таганке