Caramoor Jazz Festival
|Country and Region||United States — New York|
|Type of Festival||Music|
|Location of Festival||Katonah, New York, USA|
|Festival Contact Information|
Caramoor Summer Music Festival’s annual weekend-long Jazz Festival has become one of the country’s premiere destinations for jazz music, for artists and fans alike. The programming is packed with jazz legends and innovative voices on the international scene demonstrating the breadth and diversity of the state of jazz.
For additional information about Caramoor’s other festival please visit the following profile pages at KadmusArts:
|Festival Dates||July 26 - 28, 2013|
Caramoor is a performing arts center located on a unique 90-acre setting of Italianate architecture and gardens in Westchester County, NY. It enriches the lives of its audiences through innovative and diverse musical performances of the highest quality. Its mission also includes mentoring young professional musicians through the Evnin Rising Stars, Vocal Rising Stars, Bel Canto Young Artists and Ernst Stiefel String Quartet-in-Residence programs as well as providing curriculum-based, educational programs centered around music for 5,000+ middle and high school children in local schools. Renowned for its annual summer music festival held from late June to early August, Caramoor is often described as “a Garden of Great Music” where audiences are invited to come early, explore the beautiful grounds, enjoy a pre-concert picnic, and discover beautiful music in the relaxed settings of the Venetian Theater, Spanish Courtyard, Music Room of the Rosen House, and the magnificent gardens.
The historic Rosen House, built in the 1930’s, and its Music Room are “the heart of Caramoor.” Upon its completion in 1939, Caramoor founders Walter and Lucie Rosen began to present private concerts in the Music Room, and today it is used for all ‘Caramoor Indoors’ concerts and arts-in-education programs. Tours of the Rosen House by the general public are currently on hiatus as Caramoor Center for Music and the Arts has embarked on a comprehensive planning project to restructure the programs and usage of the historic Rosen House. It is Caramoor’s intention to complete this process during the next few years.
Caramoor’s gardens are also well worth the visit and include nine unique perennial gardens. Among them are a Sense Circle for the visually handicapped, a Butterfly Garden, Tapestry Hedge, and Iris and Peony Garden, which may be enjoyed on one’s own or seen on a guided tour. With its unique heritage, Caramoor is a place where days and nights are shared and enjoyed by thousands.
- The Mingus Big Band in the Genius of Mingus 1963: 50th Anniversary Concert
- Jason Marsalis Vibes Quartet
- Delfeayo Marsalis Presents the Uptown Jazz Orchestra
- Luciana Souza: The Book of Chet and Brazilian Duos
- Elio Villafranca & The Jass Syncopators
- Vijay Iyer
- James Carter Organ Trio
- Charles Tolliver Big Band
- Lionel Loueke Trio
- Adam Makowicz Trio
- And Introducing Luis Perdomo and Benito Gonzalez
- Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Caramoor/17577926707
KadmusArts on Facebook:
- Like KadmusArts on Facebook — we are your gateway to interact with the global community of festival fans, artist and organizers. Please share your comments and experiences in regard to this festival at http://www.facebook.com/pages/KadmusArts/17962154811
- July 26th are $25, $35, and $45
- July 27th and 28th are $15, $25, $40 and $55
- To purchase
- Call the Caramoor Box Office at 914-232-1252
- Visit online at http://www.caramoor.org
- Groups of 16 or more may purchase discounted tickets by contacting Matthew Scarella at 914-232-5035, ext. 252 or email@example.com.
Picnicking at Caramoor:
- Extend the Caramoor experience by arriving early and enjoying a picnic amidst the beautiful gardens. During the Jazz Festival, Great Performances® will grill chicken, ribs, burgers and hot dogs on the picnic lawns, which are available for purchase. Concertgoers can also bring their own picnic, or order one for pick-up at Caramoor by calling Great Performances® at 212-337-6055 or online at http://www.greatperformances.com/caramoorpicnics.
Concert Venues and Gardens:
- Concerts take place in two outdoor theaters—
- The 1714-seat, acoustically superb Venetian Theater and the more intimate, romantic Spanish Courtyard. Caramoor’s gardens are also well worth the visit and include nine unique perennial gardens. Among them are a Sense Circle for the visually handicapped, a Butterfly Garden, Tapestry Hedge, and Iris and Peony Garden, which may be enjoyed on one’s own or seen on a guided tour.
Getting to Caramoor:
- Caramoor is easy to get to by car and mass transportation.
- By car from the West Side of Manhattan and New Jersey, take the Saw Mill River Parkway north to Katonah. Exit at Route 35/Cross River. Turn right, and, at the first traffic light, make a right turn onto Route 22 south. Travel 1.9 miles to the junction of Girdle Ridge Road. Follow the signs to Caramoor. (For detailed directions call 914.232.5035 and press 2, or online at http://www.caramoor.org). Parking at Caramoor is free.
- By train, take the Harlem Division of the Metro-North Railroad to Katonah, New York. Taxi service from the station to Caramoor (5 minutes away) is available.